Commencing your engineering career with NDY means that you could become part of a unique international team of consultant engineers. You may find yourself working with a team that design one of the world’s landmark developments, or deliver a proposal to an international panel of construction practitioners, through to working on-site with a team of engineers, contractors and tradespeople. You will also find opportunities to develop enduring professional relationships that will in time contribute to the strength of your professional industry profile.
NDY recognizes that every one of our graduates is unique and your development and success is essential to our collective future growth.
We offer our graduates continuing professional development (CPD), technical training, an initial induction program followed by a week-long induction program (see notes below). This ensures you will receive all the necessary post-graduate training to optimize your opportunities for career development and growth.
As a graduate on our Program, you will be challenged and offered unique opportunities to:
- Learn and excel in your day-to-day work
- Participate in a number of work-based team and experiential activities
- Grow personally and professionally in a dynamic, inclusive and supportive culture
- Engage and be mentored with exceptional leaders
NDY Graduate Guide
We produce a Graduate Guide every year. To find out more about the Graduate Program at NDY, download a copy of the NDY Graduate Guide:
What we require from successful graduates
We seek ambitious, passionate and professional graduates who communicate well and demonstrate accountability and responsibility. You should have a natural ability to develop excellent consulting skills which means you will have great listening and communication skills to complement your academic achievements.
You will demonstrate the following in your application and at interview (should you be invited to an interview):
- Excellent and consistent academic results
- Work experience (part time while studying)
- Involvement in other activities (sports, clubs, interests, volunteer work)
- Well developed communication and listening skills
- Professional presentation
By developing multi-faceted skills, you will have the opportunity to become a respected member of a team of consultants who are focused on providing our clients with professional service and technical excellence while meeting project deliverables.
Your association with industry colleagues including project managers, architects, engineers, contractors and regulatory authorities, will help you develop relationships to further your career in the Engineering profession.
Advancement within NDY is possible for our engineers depending on ability to showcase your capabilities, technical excellence and consulting excellence.
Engineers Induction Program
NDY host an annual week-long Engineers Induction Program for our graduates every year (graduates from all offices are invited). This is an excellent occasion to meet the NDY management team and fellow graduates from other NDY offices. Topics covered during the week include:
- Your career development opportunities
- Understanding our clients and industry associates
- Client engagement skills training
- Communication skills and much more
Program presentations are made by senior management, engineers, industry associates and professional trainers. The program is intended to introduce our new engineers to the business of consulting engineering and provide a background about the history, structure and management of NDY.
NDY’s formal Mentoring Program provides support and guidance to young engineers. It is also an opportunity to share knowledge and experience from the senior engineers and forge new business relationships and networking opportunities. We will provide training so you get the best from your mentoring experience.
Thank you for taking the time to read about our graduate program at NDY. If you like what you have read and meet our criteria and would like a career as a consulting engineer, we look forward to your application.
Benefits of working at NDY include:
- Excellent learning and development program and on the job learning
- Mentoring program
- Excellent midyear induction program (meet senior managers and technical experts from other offices)
- Competitive remuneration
- Paid parental leave
- Active social program
- Opportunities for transfers between offices (post completion of your graduate year)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) – a confidential, 24 hr counselling program for personal or work related matters
- Employee Referral Program – where you may receive a reward for successful referrals
Graduate Career Fair attendance dates by NDY for 2017 are currently not available.
The below outlines the NDY application process for graduate engineer positions.
NDY’s graduate online application process
There are typically two stages to making an online application:
- Complete the application form. This covers academic achievement, personal information, career motivation, employment history and references, extenuating circumstances, language skills, and extra-curricular activities and interests.
- Interviewers will refer to this information during the interview.Complete the mental ability tests (detailed below). Some of these may be diagrammatic in nature. The online tests are delivered by Hogan.
NDY’s online assessments
There are up to two parts to the online assessments at NDY:
- General mental ability test – administered through Hogan. This assessment measures an individual’s problem solving and logical ability and a flair for being able to spot logical connections.
- Personality assessments – also administered through Hogan.
Successful candidates will receive feedback on their results. Future development learning plans will also be put in place to support learning.
NDY’s graduate interviews and assessment centres
In brief, graduates will participate in an initial face to face interview either with HR or a potential line manager. The next stage is to complete online assessments followed by a second round interview with an NDY Director.
The final shortlist will be referenced checked.
NDY Graduate Engineers 2018
Norman Disney & Young (NDY) is a leading multidisciplinary consulting engineering firm with offices across all Australian capital cities, New Zealand, the UK, the Middle East, Asia and North America.
NDY delivers professional services for award winning projects, across a wide range of disciplines and specialisations. We are offering several graduate positions across Australia for 2018 (commencing January/February 2018).
With a commitment to developing future leaders NDY is seeking high-achieving, self-motivated Engineering Graduates (Mechanical, Electrical, Fire Protection Services and Fire Engineering, Hydraulic & Public Health, Sound/Acoustics and ICT/Communications (AV)) to join our graduate program.
Utilising your teamwork, problem solving and time management skills, you will be working in a role with real responsibilities within your first few months. You’ll get opportunities to work on groundbreaking projects while being exposed to a variety of challenges. Gain hands-on practical experience and on-the-job-training while being supported by experienced, talented senior engineers creating real sustainable solutions for our clients.
To be considered for these sought after opportunities you will demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Engineering (refer to disciplines above)
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong relationship building and teamwork skills (demonstrated through part time/casual work)
- Flexible attitude and ability to work with various people across the industry
- Committed to learning and eager to take on new challenges
- Drive to succeed and high energy levels
- Ability to demonstrate the following Values: Excellence, Leadership, Integrity,
- Collaboration, Accountability & Ownership, Innovation
Our graduate program includes:
- In depth induction program
- A residential orientation program (mid-May),
- Graduate rotation program across various disciplines
- Mentoring program
- Technical and soft skills training
- Involvement in a variety of engineering projects
- A supportive friendly team environment
- An opportunity to become a member of the Engineers Australia professional development program (PDP). Designed to assist you become chartered, the program will provide you with support and guidance from Engineers Australia, including workshops, online support and learning materials.
The opportunities to progress your career in the long term are outstanding!
Graduate applications close on 26 March 2017.