A commitment to Defence
The NDY Defence group is structured using a Centre of Excellence model based in Canberra, with Defence representatives in each of our offices.
The Centre of Excellence is charged with:
- Capturing the wide range of Defence experience gained across the NDY group from projects such as LEAP II, ASC submarine facility, and the recent infrastructure assessments at Edinburgh and Campbell barracks.
- Ensuring that the Defence specific delivery processes detailed on the Defence Infrastructure Management (IM) website are understood and incorporated across the group.
- Ensuring that Defence specific standards are understood and utilised across the group, including MFPE (existing and draft 2011 version), Safetyman, Defence Communications Cabling Standard, Estate Engineering Policy, Estate Service and Technical Regulation, Fire Protection FDB standard inclusions, and Requirements for Provision of Access and Facilities for Disabled Persons.
- Understanding the Defence approach to ESD, and specifically understanding the draft Building Performance Manual and its relationship to industry Greenstar guidelines.
- Understanding Defence specific security requirements, including the Commonwealth Protective Security Requirements and their application to a Defence environment, different requirements for different types of Defence installations, and application of SCEC requirements.
Our strategy includes leveraging of the wide range of experience throughout the company, and ensuring that suitable resources will be provided to meet the needs of the project. While local regional offices have a major role in projects within their area, the NDY Defence Centre of Excellence will input throughout the process, ensuring that Defence requirements are understood and incorporated at each stage.
The Defence Centre of Excellence also maintains contact with the Defence Directors of Project Development and Delivery for each region, and Defence Estate Engineering Planning. This provides us with a broad understanding of long term Defence goals, and a clear understanding of specific estate requirements as they evolve. Our awareness of evolving defence standards and upcoming projects enables us to identify issues in current works that will impact on future development, and assists us in delivering outcomes to suit both immediate and longer term Defence objectives.