Senior Hydraulics Engineer (Wellington)
- Wellington based
- Work with multiple stakeholders in a complex environment
- High level intermediate – senior hydraulic engineer
About the Position
This role will make a difference to our business and team in the following ways:
- Senior Project Engineer (Hydraulics) is responsible for the delivery of engineering services from design through to construction.
- Act as a Project Leader responsible for project performance over time and/or manage a small team (typically 1-2 direct reports).
- Responsible for the delivery of medium and large sized single and multi-disciplinary projects.
- This role primarily works independently applying deep technical knowledge and skills on large/complex projects.
- May be involved in mentoring less experienced team members
Key Result Area 1: Finance – focusing on commercial results and delivering value to our business
- Provide input for job costing, time plans and fee preparation activities in consultation with Manager and Project Director.
- Co-ordinate and plan commitments, resources and balance workload across available projects to efficiently and effectively meet project deadlines and cost/fee requirements.
- Monitor workload and advise line manager where additional skills are required, and when over/under utilisation is likely to occur.
- Monitors spend against proposal for own projects handled and identifies variances for discussion.
- Addresses non-conformance within project timescales to ensure timely delivery.
- Drive the collection of unpaid fees with assistance from accounts
- Build and maintain client relationships to secure new work by actively marketing NDY’s services. As required, creates submissions and presentations that effectively markets NDY and accurately addresses the client’s perspective.
Key Result Area 2: Engineering & Operations – delivering technical excellence
- Design and document systems through concept, design development and detailed documentation phases.
- Act as Project Leader on assigned projects, which may require the nomination of project engineers and reviewers for projects where appropriate.
- Plan and resource projects to ensure all NDY activities and designs are fully coordinated and implemented in line with NDY’s Project Management methodology.
- Assist the Project Leader on assigned projects – responsible for the firm’s overall involvement on the project and the administration of design interface between multiple disciplines.
> Disciplines may include: Communications, Security, Lifts, Mechanical, Electrical, Fire Protection, Hydraulics, NDYLIGHT, Sustainability, Fire Engineering and Acoustics.
- Review technical submissions by Contractors and Sub-Contractors and the quality of construction against the specified requirements.
- Undertake Construction Administration on projects, designed by NDY.
- Ensure NDY’s Quality System is implemented and maintained on projects, which may require quality assurance reviews for peer projects.
- Proactively identifies, develops and promotes ways to improve operating capability
Key Result Area 3: People Learning & Development – driving performance through our people
- Manage Norman Disney & Young’s involvement in projects so that work is completed efficiently whilst meeting client needs.
- Identify and engage clients and key stakeholders, ensuring that expectations are known, managed and fulfilled, within program and project constraints.
- Liaise with Contractors and Sub-Contractors to address construction-related documentation issues.
- Participate and represent NDY in internal and external meetings as appropriate to discuss client issues, proposals, new opportunities and marketing strategies.
- Attend site meetings as appropriate and report on the status of the work and any items of concern.
- Ensure clients’ requirements, deliverables and level of documentation is clearly defined with sufficient pre-notification.
Key Result Area 4: Client – delivering superior client service
- Act as a primary interface between staff and senior leaders.
- Function effectively and efficiently by delegating tasks as appropriate to more Junior Engineers and Drafting staff.
- Participate in delivering research and development initiatives in your technical discipline.
- Provide on-the-job training and share knowledge with graduates and new staff, identifying areas where training may assist individuals or the group.
Required Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- A relevant tertiary qualification combined with equivalent training, accreditation and experience.
- Chartered Engineering (or equivalent) status is desirable
- Well developed understanding of relevant Standards and Building Codes for your region
- Well developed understanding of Project Stages and Delivery methods (e.g. full design, design and construct)
- Minimum 5 years relevant professional engineering experience across the full project lifecycle and responsibility for delivering projects.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information of a complex nature both verbally and in writing with all stakeholders across multiple disciplines including colleagues and clients
- Ability to lead, manage and affect change and handle ambiguity
- Demonstrate political savvy with team members and clients
- Ability to exercise well developed problem solving skills and use substantial initiative and judgement to work independently to meet objectives
- Consistently produce accurate work without errors
- Willingness to accept and implement constructive feedback.
To apply, please submit a copy of your CV and covering letter to Francisco Yanez email@example.com.
Please put “Senior Hydraulics Engineer (Wellington)” as the Subject/Title of your email.