Senior Project Engineer, Canberra
- Gain client exposure
- Variety of projects
- Leverage of established local relationships
Our people are key to our success. They are experts on understanding the specific requirements of diverse industries and project types. This depth of talent and experience across our international footprint allows NDY to undertake the most challenging projects, and to deliver successful commercial, environmental and technical outcomes.
We foster collaborative and long-term relationships with clients, and recognise that the foundation of these relationships is trust. We earn this client trust by being reliable, responsive and commercially astute with our advice.
Our successful approach is based on listening to our clients and understanding their business. We look to embrace client requirements by understanding how our advice and designs will provide best value to their projects.
Whilst our technical, documentation and consulting abilities are first class, we embrace our role as an innovator, and not a follower, of trends. We fund research and development activities in all key NDY services and support our people on the journey of continual professional development.
Our people embody the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct and look to implement best practice solutions in sustainable design, for the long-term resilience of projects.
Talented individuals look to join the NDY group because they want to be a part of a highly regarded brand, and because they want to work with the best clients on meaningful projects across international locations.
The prospect of working alongside industry thought leaders, our technical excellence, and our industry-leading approach to corporate social responsibility, makes NDY a beacon for top tier talent.
About the Position
The Senior Project Engineer:
- is responsible for the delivery of engineering services from design through to construction.
- primarily works independently applying deep technical knowledge and skills on large/complex projects.
- mentors less experienced team members, act as a Project Leader responsible for project performance over time and/or manage a small team (typically 1-2 direct reports).
- provide input for job costing, time plans and fee preparation activities in consultation with Manager and Project Director.
- co-ordinate and plan commitments, resources and balance workload across available projects to efficiently and effectively meet project deadlines and cost/fee requirements.
- monitors workload and advise line manager where additional skills are required, and when over/under utilisation is likely to occur.
- monitors spend against proposal for own projects handled and identifies variances for discussion.
- build and maintain client relationships to secure new work by actively marketing NDY’s services. A project engineer creates submissions and presentations that effectively markets NDY and accurately addresses the client’s perspective.
- act as Project Leader on assigned projects, which may require the nomination of project engineers and reviewers for projects where appropriate.
- plan and resource projects to ensure all NDY activities and designs are fully coordinated and implemented in line with NDY’s Project Management methodology.
- responsible for the firm’s overall involvement on the project and the administration of design interface between multiple disciplines including Communications, Security, Lifts, Mechanical, Electrical, Fire Protection, Hydraulics, NDY Light, ESD, Fire Engineering and Acoustics.
- review technical submissions by Contractors and Sub-Contractors and the quality of construction against the specified requirements.
- ensure NDY’s Quality System is implemented and maintained on projects, which may require quality assurance reviews for peer projects.
- identify and engage clients and key stakeholders, ensuring that expectations are known, managed and fulfilled, within program and project constraints.
- Participate and represent NDY in internal and external meetings as appropriate to discuss client issues, proposals, new opportunities and marketing strategies.
- ensure clients’ requirements, deliverables and level of documentation is clearly defined with sufficient pre-notification.
- act as a primary interface between staff and senior leaders.
- efficiently delegate tasks as appropriate to more Junior Engineers and Drafting staff.
- participate in delivering research and development initiatives in your technical discipline.
- provide on-the-job training and share knowledge with graduates and new staff, identifying areas where training may assist individuals or the group.
- demonstrate supportive leadership and management the team by thoroughly inducting new starters, set performance objectives aligned to office and group goals, conduct performance reviews and hold regular 1 on 1 feedback, coaching and developmental discussions.
- pro-actively manage performance, conduct, interpersonal and Work Health & Safety (WHS) issues in a timely manner in line with NDY’s policies and procedures as they are amended from time to time.
Qualifications & Certifications
- A relevant tertiary qualification combined with equivalent training, accreditation and experience
- Chartered Engineering (or equivalent) status is desirable
- Well developed understanding of relevant Australian Standards and National Construction Code (NCC)
- Well developed understanding of Project Stages and Delivery methods (e.g. full design, design and construct).
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years relevant professional engineering experience across the full project lifecycle and responsibility for delivering projects.
- Consistently produce accurate work without errors
- Ability to exercise well developed problem solving skills and use substantial initiative and judgement to work independently to meet objectives
- Demonstrate political savvy with team members and clients
- Ability to lead, manage and affect change and handle ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information of a complex nature both verbally and in writing with all stakeholders across multiple disciplines including colleagues and clients
- Willingness to accept and implement constructive feedback.
To apply, please submit a confidential copy of your CV and covering letter to Barry Wilson via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put “Project Engineer (Senior) – Canberra” as the email subject title.